IMPROVE OUR CHILDREN'S EDUCATION FROM CRADLE TO CAREER
Investments in education lift people out of poverty because children who have access to a high-quality education from cradle to career position themselves for work that pays a family-sustaining wage. At the Town of Palm Beach United Way, we believe there is no better investment than education. We see education as a community responsibility. It takes all of us - parents, teachers, and caring adults - to help a child succeed in school and in life. And we know it's worth it. In fact, the returns on investing in our children are phenomenal. The Town of Palm Beach United Way's work in education focuses on bolstering a child's ability to thrive during critical transition points in their educational journey.
INVESTMENTS IN EDUCATION
- Early Childhood Education
- Middle School Success/High School Graduation
- Afterschool and Summer
- Parents and Mentors
- Only 1 in 6 children has access to high-quality pre-k.
- Kids not reading proficiently by the end of 3rd grade are 4 times more likely to drop out of high school than proficient readers: In Palm Beach County, almost 40% of students entering fourth grade are unable to read at grade level.
- 6th graders with attendance, behavior or course completion problems have a 15% chance of graduating high school.
- High school graduates earn higher wages, live longer and raise children who are far more likely to graduate from high school: In Palm Beach County, the graduation rate is 77.9%, which means 22% of students who enter high school in 9th grade won't graduate.